Like anything else, vision boards work if you do.
If you slap a few pictures that mean nothing to you on a piece of poster board…
that isn't going to do a thing for you.
If you make a vision board, stick it in a closet and never look at it again…
that isn't going to help you either.
The only way a vision board will work is if you put your heart and soul into making it and give it your heart every day. You need to feel the good things that are represented on your vision board.
Here is my vision board I made in December of 2013.
You can enlarge the picture of the vision board if you click on the image.
I made this vision board when I was taking a class called “The Master Key Alliance” where we would journal weekly about the book The Master Key System.
We were reading one chapter of “The Master Key” by Charles Haanell every week. We would read that one chapter daily(they are short)
The Master Key System was written by Charles F. Haanel in 1912 and first published in 1916 by Psychology Publishing, St. Louis and the Master Key Institute, NY
We read these things regularly, too:
- Affirmations – 3 times daily
- Our Definite Major Purpose (DMP)
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- The Law of Compensation by Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Examination of our virtues based on Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography
- The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino
We also assigned shapes and colors to our goals – so we would be reminded of them every time we saw a red circle, blue rectangle, yellow square or green triangle.
This is why you see these shapes in the vision board with my goals written in them.
True to what I envisioned on my vision board:
I went to Kauai for 3 months, starting at the end of April, 2014 and through to the beginning of August. My favorite part of that trip was being together with all my family since my two oldest daughters are living on Kauai.
New Goal: Christmas, 2018 in Kauai with the whole family!
I had some success with the other goals, too.
My house has been clean once or twice since then. Working from home, housework sometimes comes last. What I really should have put there is –
Someone comes in to clean my house once a week.
Toned and tanned 135 pounds – I did get down to 145 in 2014 when I was meditating and exercising daily. Being on Kauai for 3 months really helped my tan too. Fast-forward to 2018 and I have to put this goal back on my vision board and affirmations. It has kind of morphed too – the weight isn't as important as being healthy.
Healthier isn't just a feeling for me – it's a MISSION
Helping people, getting healthy, wealthy and wise, team players attracted to me. Hmm… this old wording is wishy-washy and vague.
- I help thousands of people a month with my blogs and my scheduled calls – I mastermind with like minded people
- I create my life.
- I am a grateful giver
- Nothing will change until I change
Creating a Vision Board
Yesterday, I decided to make a new vision board. It's 2018 and the last time I made a vision board was 2013 – that is way too long to wait. Ideally, you should make a vision board yearly or once a goal is met on the current board – celebrate by making a new vision board.
I bought a piece of poster board and a glue stick at the General Dollar – total investment $3.25 – I splurged for the poster board with the gold glitter frame.
I liked the extra bling.
Vision boards are 100% visual – be creative. Use the posterboard color that will draw your attention most often. There were all sorts of fluorescent colors and white. Make your vision board with the poster board that fits your vision.
I do suggest getting the larger size of posterboard. This one is 28″ by 22″ and so was my other vision board from 2013 –
Where to Get Free Vision Board Pictures
My printer is not printing color correctly right now (time for a new printer) so I relied completely on magazines! Luckily, I signed up for a few magazines at a charity event and got more magazines that I NEVER ORDERED coming regularly. I have boxes and boxes of magazines.
Some other places you can get free pictures online:
Making the Vision Board
I definitely lost some creative space with the gold border. I found out the glue stick would not stick to the glitter so I could only glue to the white part of the board. I still like it and think the gold frame was worth the small loss of space.
No more shapes. I did not want to limit my board to 4 goals.
The upper left part of the board is about may home-based business.
- A 90 day action plan to blog every day and help people every day -at the end of 90 days, re-evaluate
- Every day is a GRAND day – $1,000 a day or more in income
- I am a home-based millionaire and I help others to become millionaire Internet marketers.
- I brainstorm and mastermind with other like-minded people
- Give back – pay it forward
- Believe it to Achieve it
- Work on me!
- Be in the flow
- Love other people
The upper right side of the board is about health and wellness
- The stacked plank photo reminds me to work with another person
- Air Quality Monitoring – because clean air is vital for health
- A picture of a getting clean water at the sink and hanging with good friends
- My healthy, toned body
- Taking care of our environment (the earth picture)
- Healthier isn't just a feeling for us, it's a mission.
The rest is lifestyle.
- On the left toward the middle is my trip to Hawaii – Kauai and the other islands in December, 2018 – the leis hanging to the right of the board are also a visual reminder of my girls and how great it is going to be to see them again.
- In the lower corner is a trip to Vegas where we stay in a luxury suite in ultimate style
- A week long, all inclusive cruise in or before March, 2019
- A family home with a pool, a hot tub, a sauna, a pool table, a pinball machine a bedroom for each of the kids and a couple more spare bedrooms for friends. My dream home.
- On the right is a group of golfing photos to represent golfing wherever and whenever we want.
One thing I could not find was my dream car… but that's okay – I will go test drive one and get a brochure and find a way to add that to my board.
Vision boards work if you do. The only reason I stopped achieving goals on my old vision board is because I took it down and put it in a closet after my Kauai trip in 2014.
This new vision board has me inspired again.
I would love to see a link to a blog about your vision board in the comments. Or if you have any questions, ask in the comments.
If you are looking for free training to work from home –
Start today! Time will pass anyway – you might as well be working toward your own dreams.